Purpose: This public comment proceeding seeks input on the draft Issues List concerning how to evolve ICANN‘s multistakeholder model (“Evolving MSM”). The Issues List was developed in the framework of the Draft ICANN Strategic Plan for Fiscal Years 2021-2025, specifically, Strategic Objective #2 that addresses ICANN Governance. The Issues List identifies issues that the community believes hamper the effectiveness of ICANN‘s multistakeholder model. The Issues List reflects community inputs from ICANN64 where the community engaged in a facilitated conversation about how to improve the effectiveness of ICANN‘s multistakeholder model. Building on the conversation at ICANN64, this public comment proceeding invites the community to further define and prioritize issues that challenge the effectiveness of ICANN‘s multistakeholder model.
Current Status: This current Issues List combines community inputs from ICANN63 where the Board, Advisory Committees and Supporting Organizations discussed Strategic Objective #2 as well as community inputs from a facilitated session at ICANN64. At ICANN64 the community was invited to add specificity to the issues identified at ICANN63, to offer new issues that are hampering the effectiveness of ICANN‘s multistakeholder model and to offer reasons why an issue should be removed from the Issues List. The Issues List, updated with community inputs from ICANN64, is the focus of this public comment process.
Next Steps: The Issues List will be updated and revised based on feedback from this public comment proceeding. A webinar will be held to continue the facilitated conversation on this topic and to encourage public comment (date TBC). A summary report on the Issues List will be provided in early June 2019 after the close of the public comment period, and a webinar will be scheduled in June 2019, prior to ICANN65, to review the final Issues List and to begin to develop a Work Plan to support Strategic Objective #2.
Section I: Description and Explanation
Commenters should refer to the draft “Issues List” that reflects input received from the ICANN community about how to improve the effectiveness of ICANN‘s multistakeholder model. We welcome all comments, and encourage you to focus on the following:
- For each issue, or your issues of interest, provide a specific example about how the issue hampers the effectiveness of ICANN‘s multistakeholder model. Be sure to provide a specific and clear articulation of the issue so that it is clearly and fully defined. Please provide fact-based examples only. If offering a “new” issue to be considered, provide a clear articulation of the issue along with fact-based examples and a rationale about how the issue is hampering the effectiveness of ICANN‘s multistakeholder model. If you believe that an issue or issues do not belong on the Issues List, provide a rationale as to why the issue or issues should be removed.
Commenters are also invited to offer prioritization of the issues
on the Issues List. When offering prioritization, carefully consider the
- Issues that, if they are constructively addressed and solutions can be found, would have the greatest impact in making ICANN‘s multistakeholder model more effective and efficient.
- Whether there are interdependencies between any of the issues that you are prioritizing. That is to say, for issue “A” to be addressed a solution for issue “B” must be addressed as well to achieve improvements in the effective functioning of ICANN‘s multistakeholder model.
- Which issues could favorably impact the effectiveness of ICANN‘s multistakeholder model at a potentially lower cost? Which issues could favorable impact the effectiveness of ICANN‘s multistakeholder model without introduction of unnecessary layers of process or bureaucracy?
- Which issues could be combined or consolidated because their nature is so similar? When considering consolidating issues, carefully consider whether there are any interdependencies that argue against consolidation.
Section II: Background
ICANN org has developed in consultation with the community the Draft ICANN Strategic Plan for Fiscal Years 2021-2025. The Strategic Plan includes a set of five strategic objectives. Strategic Objective # 2 addresses ICANN Governance and aims to improve the effectiveness of ICANN‘s multistakeholder model.
At ICANN63 in Barcelona, Spain, the ICANN Board asked the community for feedback on Objective 2 in the Draft ICANN Strategic Plan for FY 2021-2025. Specifically, the community was asked how to improve the effectiveness of ICANN‘s multistakeholder model of governance. Based on community response at ICANN63, an initial Issues List was developed. At ICANN64 in Kobe, Japan, a session on Governance was held where the Community provided input on the Issues List.
Section III: Relevant Resources
Section IV: Additional Information
Open Date:25 Apr 2019 23:59 UTC
Close Date:4 Jun 2019 23:59 UTC
Staff Report Due: 14 Jun 2019 23:59 UTC
This ICANN announcement was sourced from: https://www.icann.org/public-comments/evolving-multistakeholder-model-2019-04-25-en