Focusing on ICANN‘s commitment to the multistakeholder model, ICANN‘s Draft FY20 Operating Plan and Budget and the current year update to the Five-Year Operating Plan are provided for community discussion and public comment. ICANN seeks structured feedback on the plans described in these documents. The documents incorporate improvements on previous years based on regular interaction with the ICANN community and reflect FY20’s planned accomplishments towards the Five-Year Strategic Plan, (adopted by the Board in October 2014.)
The draft documents provided for this proceeding have been prepared and published for public review and comment. They describe ICANN‘s plans for FY20 and include the plans to be carried out by PTI and IANA. Consultations were conducted on PTI’s draft FY20 plans during Summer and Fall of 2018. A Report of Public Comments on the FY20 PTI and IANA Operating Plan and Budget was published in December 2017. The updated PTI Operating Plan and Budget is scheduled to be adopted by the PTI Board 19 December 2018. The sections of the plans relating to PTI are therefore already finalized and are included in these documents to provide a complete picture.
During Public Comment Period
- Two community webinars will be held to provide an overview of the Draft FY20 Planning Documents and highlights. Details for the calls will be posted on the ICANN Community Wiki Finance Workspace.
- Community Members seeking clarification on any details in the Draft ICANN FY20 Operating Plan and Budget documents should submit questions to email@example.com by 09 January 2019.
- ICANN organization will provide responses to clarifying questions by 21 January 2019,three weeks before this public comment period ends.
After Public Comment Period
- ICANN organization will analyze the comments submitted and hold sessions with the community and Board at ICANN64 to discuss aspects of the comments that may need additional explanation. This step of the process is intended to enhance understanding of the comments and to improve the quality of the responses provided by the organization. The sessions will be public, and attended by at least one ICANN Board member. The schedule for this session, along with dial-in information, will be published on the ICANN Community Wiki Finance Workspace.
- The ICANN organization will prepare a staff report of public comments to be published by 18 March 2019. Where deemed necessary, changes will be made to the draft documents and revised versions will be posted to the website prior to Board adoption.
- The documents will be presented to the ICANN Board and proposed for adoption in May 2019, a minimum of 28 days in advance of the beginning of the next fiscal year to allow for Empowered Community review period.
Section I: Description and Explanation
ICANN seeks structured feedback on the plan described in these documents. They reflect the accomplishments planned for the current and next fiscal year, FY19 and FY20, and refinements based on regular interaction with the ICANN Community.
Section II: Background
ICANN‘s planning process consists of a continuous cycle with the following four components:
- ICANN Strategic Plan
- ICANN Five-Year Operating Plan Update
- ICANN Fiscal-Year Operating Plan & Budget
- PTI Fiscal-Year Operating Plan & Budget
- IANA Budget Fiscal-Year Operating Plan and Budget
ICANN‘s Strategic Plan was developed with community input and is updated every five years. The Strategic Plan shapes our priorities, informs our budget and drives our activities. ICANN‘s Strategic Plan for FY16-FY20 was adopted by the Board and published on 14 October 2014.
ICANN‘s Initial Five-Year Operating Plan and Financial Model was developed with community input and is updated each year. This is its second update. It contains an approach to a five-year financial management strategy, and at the strategic goal level:
- Corresponding Key Performance Indicators
- Five-Year Phasing
- A list of Portfolios
Following the adoption of the FY16-FY20 Strategic Plan in October 2014, ICANN staff developed and consulted on a Draft Five-Year Operating Plan, which was adopted by the Board in June 2015.
ICANN‘s Fiscal-Year Operating Plan and Budget is developed with input from the community to implement the Five-Year Operating Plan.
- The cycle concludes with achievement and progress reporting, conducted throughout the year via ICANN meetings, webinars, the Accountability Indicators and other dashboards, and the portfolio management system.
Section III: Relevant Resources
ICANN Draft FY20 Planning Documents
|ICANN Draft FY20 Budget Introduction & Highlights Letter from the CEO||Overview of the key elements, cross-functional projects, and activities of the Draft FY20 plans|
|ICANN Draft FY20 Total Budget||High-level review of the Draft FY20 budget|
|ICANN Draft FY20 Operating Plan||Section 1: Summary of 6 modules of work planned for FY20 Section 2: Breakdown of the operating plan with the budget by strategic goal|
|ICANN Draft FY20 Five Year Operating Plan Update||High-level five-year perspective on the operations ICANN undertakes to implement its strategic plan|
|ICANN Draft FY20 Operating Plan by Portfolio ICANN Draft FY20 Operating Plan by Project||Detailed breakdown of the budget for each portfolio and project|
|ICANN Draft FY20 Operating Plan and Budget by Portfolio Spreadsheet||This spreadsheet provides a detailed breakdown of the budget for each portfolio and project|
|Adopted Strategic Plan||This is the Strategic Plan ICANN is currently operating under. It runs for the period from July 2016 until June 2020.|
|Initial Five-Year Operating Plan and Financial Model||This is the Five-Year Operating Plan adopted for FY16.|
|Planning Process||This web page describes ICANN‘s planning process.|
|Financial Information||This web page links to key financial information about ICANN.|