Uniregistry Brokerage released their domain name sales data for 2016 to 2018, showing the dollar value of sales jumped slightly over 50% in just 3 years to $50,100,177.46 in 2018, from $38,936,880.54 in 2017 and $33,819,931.20 in 2016.
The average value of domain name sales in 2018 also was higher. In 2018 there were 5,445 domain names sold for an average price of $9,201.13, in 2017 there were 5,236 domain names sold averaging $7,436.38 per domain while in 2016 the average for each domain name sold was $8,297.33. But while the dollar value of domain names sold was up 50%, the volume was only up by a third.
Uniregistry Brokerage sold domain names to buyers from 111 different countries in 2018. They now have a team speaking over 14 different languages and also report great success with native-language-resolving landing pages and local phone numbers based on the geographical location of the visiting customer on the “For Sale” pages. The Uni “Sales Landing” pages are performing very well to capture leads, and we are excited about several new technologies being used with them.
The highest domain name sale of 2018 was a 2-word .com domain name that sold for over $1 million dollars. 8 of the top 10 domain name sales in 2018 were private and the exact sale amount/domain name cannot be shared due to non-disclosure agreements. 58 domain names sold for at least $100,000 or more in 2018. Of those 58, 56 were .com domains. There was also one .net and one .co.uk domain name. Of the 58 domains that sold for more than $100K, the average length was 5.8 characters.
1,005 domain name sales were between $10,000 and $99,999 in 2018. The average length of these domain names was 8 characters. In 2017, we sold 900 domains in the same price range and the average character length was 8.3 (without the TLD). This has been a steady rise from 2016, which saw 785 domain sales in the price range and an average character length of 8.59. There are slight trends toward shorter character length and an increase in volume.
Uniregistry also published month by month domain name sales data for 2018 by their Brokerage team.
- Jan: 456 domains sold, average sale price $7,322 with a total of $3.3M
- Feb: 408 domains sold, average sale price $10,181 with a total of $4.1M
- March: 501 domains sold, average sale price $9,272 with a total of $4.6M
- April: 498 domains sold, average sale price $10,093 with a total of $5M
- May: 514 domains sold, average sale price $9,576 with a total of $4.9M
- June: 416 domains sold, average sale price $10,573 with a total of $4.3M
- July: 437 domains sold, average sale price $8,510 with a total of $3.7M
- Aug: 480 domains sold, average sale price $8,049 with a total of $3.8M
- Sept: 432 domains sold, average sale price $9,516 with a total of $4.1M
- Oct: 453 domains sold, average sale price $10,653 with a total of $4.8M
- Nov: 444 domains sold, average sale price $7,865 with a total of $3.4M
- Dec: 406 domains sold, average sale price $8,873 with a total of $3.6M
The Uniregistry Brokerage team sold an Average of 453 domain names per month in 2018.
Uniregistry also published some more breakdowns on sales data:
US$1,000 to $9,999 Data
- 2016: 2,924 total domains sold. Average Character Count: 9.3
- 2017: 3,490 total domains sold. Average Character Count: 9.6
- 2018: 3,742 total domains sold. Average Character Count: 9.5
86.86% of all domain names sold by the Brokerage in 2018 were .com domain names. 2.3% were .net and 1.9% were .org.
Mean (Average) and Median Sales Data
- Mean (Average) sales price for 2016 was $7,436
- Median sales price for 2016 was $3,450
- Mean (Average) sales price for 2017 was $7,436
- Median sales price for 2017 was $3,333
- Mean (Average) sales price for 2018 was $9,200
- Median sales price for 2018 was $3,500
- 4,076 total domains
- 357 one-word domains
- 1,765 two-word domains
- 286 three-word domains
- 481 one-to-four character domains
- 1,259 other domains
- 5,236 total domains
- 408 one-word domains
- 2,374 two-word domains
- 392 three-word domains
- 523 one-to-four character domains
- 1,608 other domains
- 5,445 total domains
- 404 one-word domains
- 2,363 two-word domains
- 423 three-word domains
- 538 one-to-four character domains
- 1,799 other domains